Cook Islands National Disability Council
Are Pa Metua Building, Nikao/PO Box 3265, Avarua
Phone (682) 20122
Emergency Contact Person: Mary Dean or Bob Kimiangatau
WHAT DO WE DO?
- We are an umbrella organisation that gives support to Disability Groups, service providers and self-help groups of the Cook Islands.
- We advocate on behalf of People with Disabilities and their families.
- We disseminate information and source training and funding opportunities worldwide.
From: Priority Area 4 of the Cook islands National Sustainable Development Plan:
Goal 4: To aspire to “A Cook Islands where all people who reside in our islands can enjoy opportunities to fulfil their potential, prosper and participate in the social, economic, political and cultural life of our communities and nation.”
To improve the situation of persons with disabilities in the Cook Islands, through the provision of practical services to our members as well as advocacy and collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
- CINDC is active in the promotion of the Rights of People with Disabilities and Community Based Rehabilitation.
- We offer information and advice and liaise with Service Providers and stakeholders to find solutions to problems.
- Awareness-raising through media and ‘word of mouth’ works towards increased inclusion for People with Disabilities.
- Networking with International stakeholders ensures access to new information and opportunities.
OUR GOVERNANCE STRUCTURE
CINDC is a Non-Government Orgnisation (NGO) and a Disabled Persons Organisation (DPO)
Chairman: Rau Nga
Vice Chairman: Tata Vaeau
Treasurer: Kevin Hosking
Assistant Treasurer: Jane Lamb
Secretary: Bob Kimiangatau
Advocate/Assistant Secretary: Mataiti Mataiti Website/Social media: Grete Fevang Marsters
Coordinator: Pat Farr
Representatives from Pa Enua and the Government Disability Officer serve ex officio.